/* Post photos ----------------------------------------------- */ img.post-photo { border:1px solid #A2907D; padding:4px; }

 


The Adventures of two Fibre Artists.

 

 

Contributing Artists
Melangell
EM

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Jack Of all Trades, Master of None

The Caplet, mentioned below, that I was using the variegated mohair/silk yarn for (see "Projects in the Mix") has succumed to the disposition of the dreaded Queen of Rip. This will be the second or third time I have ripped a project using that particular skein and it is beginning to look a little rough. I just can't seem to get a reign on her. She is too quick to influence me when I am in the slightest doubt. She has become quite an enigma and I suspect the real problem is that I have no real direction.

There are so many wonderful, creative ways to use fibre that one can become overwhelmed. Looking at knitting patterns alone, as exciting as it can be, can make your head hurt, there are so many that you can't get your bearing. Suddenly you want to knit everything. I think I might be at the stage where my eyes are bigger than my stomach so to say. I want to do everything and am finding that I have become the Jack of all but Master of none. There is just so much I wnat to do that I really need some direction.

I have decided to try to focus on what really excites me, and that is lacework. So other than the occasional exception, when choosing projects, whether it be a scarf, shawl, afghan, even sweater, I will stay with lace patterns. I will concentrate on spinning with lace work in mind, when choosing colors or dyeing my own I will be mindful of what will work best with lace patterns, when I....well you get the picture.

By doing this I hope to be able to master the technique that will, in my opinion, best represent the animal or plant that offers it's fibre. That is not to say that I won't enjoy experimenting or creating other type projects from time to time.

Some fibres, not matter how exciting or tempting will be easy to find obliging to lace knitting. This is a good example. The colors alone were tempting and I had not seen so much luster in any other fibre, other than mohair, but when I found out what it was, I had to buy some. It is called Ingeo and it is made from corn. I can't wait to spin it and discover it's texture once spun.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home